Tuesday, August 1, 2017

#RPGaDay: Day 1


1. What published RPG do you wish you were playing right now?

Answer: There's really not just one answer to some of these questions. However, I'm getting to run a game in Basic Fantasy RPG in a few weeks. I've been building up to running this for a few years now so it's the game I'm most excited about right now.

For me, BFRPG is the best system I've ever seen. It's a concise, well-written, and well-organized set of rules that happen to align with the way I like to play the game. It's a rulings over rules type of play, and there's very little that I'll need to house rule. It's facelessness or generic quality is a detriment for some, but for me, it just means there's less flavor that I need to scrape off before I add my own. The only things in the core rules are what's necessary to play, and I can add whatever else I care to on top really easily. Finally, it's basically given away for free as a PDF with art or sold at cost online for $5.00. It's not a product delivered by a corporation to turn a profit. It's a game designed by gamers for gamers as a labor of love. It's a community built on the ethos of open contribution and sharing.

All that said, I've also recently purchased Lamentations of the Flame Princess and the Red and Pleasant Land supplement, so I'm stoked to try that. I've got Whitehack, Delving Deeper, and Whitebox on their way too and all of those look great as well. I watched a Dark Age of Role Playing video on White Star the other day and I could see myself getting into that. Too many games to play and buy, not enough time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

GM Notes - Morgansfort Session 14 - Death Frost Doom - Part 2 of 2

So, here stands the final chronicle of my two-year Basic Fantasy campaign. It ended a year ago and I'm just now getting around to fini...