Friday, August 11, 2017

#RPGaDay: Day 11

11. Which "dead game" would you like to see reborn?

Answer: My answer for this one involves a game from back in the day that I never played, but that used to be advertised in Dragon magazine all the time, Skyrealms of Jorune. The game was initially released in 1984, followed by a second edition in 1985, and a third in 1992, which is 25 years ago. By all accounts it was a cool setting with some of the clunky mechanics of the time (charts and tables, I guess). The artwork promised a cool mixture of post-apocalyptic space fantasy and dark ages mysticism, like a more magical Gamma World. Or another way to put it, this might be the perfect game to run a Thundarr the Barbarian type of setting. I've read it featured a skill system versus class, which would allow for a lot of flexibility in terms of world building.

I'd love to see this game reborn with the same quality of artwork and design, but perhaps with more modern mechanics. I've always been more drawn to space fantasy than science fiction and this would seem to be a weirder, stranger alternative to say, Edge of the Empire, which I should probably try at some point (yeah, yeah, I live in the Twin Cities, I have no excuse). If someone knows of a source for Jorune on PDF I'd be interested, but it would really be great to see it get a full rebirth.

No comments:

Post a Comment

GM Notes - Morgansfort Session 14 - Death Frost Doom - Part 2 of 2

So, here stands the final chronicle of my two-year Basic Fantasy campaign. It ended a year ago and I'm just now getting around to fini...