Thursday, August 17, 2017

#RPGaDay: Day 17

17. Which RPG have you owned the longest, but not played?

Answer: Aside from the newer games I have bought, but have not yet played. There isn't a game on my shelf that I've never played. There are some I've only played a little bit - Star Frontiers, Gamma World, MERP, etc., but all of those at one time were taken around the block at least a few times. Because of this, I've selected an alternate question.

Alternate question: What part or parts of a session do you look forward to the most?

Answer: My favorite part of a session can somewhat be defined by the parts that aren't my favorite. I know that's not a very positive approach to the question, but it might give a more light context if I mention that I generally like all parts of a session. The parts that can be a little tedious are the beginnings and the endings of the session. The beginning can be a little slow if the PCs aren't in the middle of something at the beginning of the session. If they have to go into town and start randomly talking to strangers like it's Ultima from 1986, then you've got to watch out and get your heroes in action. Likewise the end of the game sessions involve a tallying of treasure and experience and all the bureaucratic paperwork that goes along with DMing a game.

With all that preamble, my favorite part of the session is once the quest or mission is underway. Usually by this point the players have warmed up their role-playing skills and will be focused on the task at hand. Also, usually no in the party has typically died by this point. Once they start delving into the earth or at least have taken the story hook, the real fun can by hand. I like when the table finds its groove and things are just humming along. I've got to think this is a pretty common observation, but either way, it's what I've got for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

GM Notes - Morgansfort Session 14 - Death Frost Doom - Part 2 of 2

So, here stands the final chronicle of my two-year Basic Fantasy campaign. It ended a year ago and I'm just now getting around to fini...