Tuesday, August 22, 2017

#RPGaDay: Day 22

22. Which RPGs are the easiest for you to run?

Answer: There's not much to this answer for me: basic Dungeons & Dragons. This would include recent OSR games like Basic Fantasy. There's not enough meat on this bone so I'll answer another alternate.

Alternate question: What makes an RPG book special in your eyes?

Answer: There are several things that make an RPG book special for me. First, it should feature good, evocative writing that is inspiring, but also linguistically clear. Second, as an object, it's good if the book is well-made and nice to look at. This would include interesting artwork and design that's both beautiful and highly functional, or easy to use. Finally, I want there to be something new and unique about the book that challenges my assumptions about how I play and why I like what I like.

Obviously what counts as evocative writing or beautiful aesthetics is something completely subjective, but these things matter, at least to me. It's important that the rule system is good, and that it actually supports a highly playable game. However, solid rules don't make a book special. Special-ness is a hard to define quality which keeps me coming back to the book and opening it up. It's a quality of a personal pleasure that's derived from handling and reading it. There's a kind of magic involved that speaks to you through a combination of words and illustration that's difficult to articulate.

I'll leave it at that since my answer for today will tie-in to my answer for Day # 23 easily as it's about which RPG has the most jaw-dropping layout.

No comments:

Post a Comment

GM Notes - Morgansfort Session 14 - Death Frost Doom - Part 2 of 2

So, here stands the final chronicle of my two-year Basic Fantasy campaign. It ended a year ago and I'm just now getting around to fini...