Tuesday, August 29, 2017

#RPGaDay: Day 28

28. What film/series is the biggest source of quotes in your group?

Answer: Geez, I don't know. I've just started a regular group and Game of Thrones came up a lot. Time for an alternate question.

3d6 straight down
Alternate question: What section do you read first when you get a new game? Why?

Answer: The first section I always look at first with a new game is the character creation. It's become standard to put this section at the front of core rulebooks for a reason. Seeing what kind of characters the players can be and the process involved tells me more about the game than any other section. Finding out how many stats there are and how those stats are generated gives me a sense of how complex the system will be. How many character classes or types or races are there, and how broadly defined? Since I like simple and flexible, so if a game has more than a dozen classes, more than six attributes, a character skills section that's pages long; then I know it's not going to be for me. It's also usually the section where the art has the most immediate impact on me. The artwork in the character creation section is usually a gateway in the game, they act as avatars for the type of adventures to be had.

After a look at the character section, I'll usually check out the example of play section next. It will give me the best glimpse into what to expect from the game, not only in terms of rules, but also the intended tone of the game as given by the designers. After that, if I'm still intrigued I'll look at the combat section, the magic section (if applicable), the bestiary, the GM advice, and then if they have a sample adventure I like to check that out too. Hmm, now I want to go games shopping.


No comments:

Post a Comment

GM Notes - Morgansfort Session 14 - Death Frost Doom - Part 2 of 2

So, here stands the final chronicle of my two-year Basic Fantasy campaign. It ended a year ago and I'm just now getting around to fini...