Thursday, August 3, 2017

#RPGaDay: Day 3

3. How do you find out about new RPGs?

Answer: Today’s question is pretty straightforward and has a relatively easy answer. Thirty years ago my answer would have been that I found out about new games from Dragon magazine, my local game shops, and friends’ older brothers.

Now I chiefly find out about games from YouTube channels I subscribe to: Runeslinger, Dark Age of Role Playing, Ivanmike1968, Questing Beast, Eric from Bloat Games, Old Man Grognard, Samwise Seven RPG, among others. As lame as it sounds, Amazon’s algorithm has also helped me find the kind of games I’ve been excited about. I found out about Basic Fantasy and Labyrinth Lord just trolling for old modules. The fact that I find out about new games chiefly through YouTube, Amazon, and Facebook has given me pause.

Since I’ve come back to the hobby I’ve noticed the kind of games I’m interested in are not often stocked at the local shops. The couple of game stores I’ve been in recently seem to feature shelves full of the two big heavyweights (5e and Pathfinder) like Coke and Pepsi in a convenient store. A lot of the small press OSRs I want to check out are usually available only through print on demand which I guess means it’s not profitable for my local brick and mortar to carry it because not enough people are interested in it.

Even though I’m getting information through these large corporate platforms (YouTube, Amazon, Facebook), it’s being disseminated by the RPG community itself. This online community has made me realize that I’m not the only person looking for something outside the standard Coke and Pepsi choices and that’s made a huge difference.

Here are some of my favorite YouTube videos that have turned me on to new games recently. Thanks guys!






No comments:

Post a Comment

GM Notes - Morgansfort Session 14 - Death Frost Doom - Part 2 of 2

So, here stands the final chronicle of my two-year Basic Fantasy campaign. It ended a year ago and I'm just now getting around to fini...