Monday, August 7, 2017

#RPGaDay: Day 7

Question 7: What was your most impactful roleplaying game session?

Answer: I'm interpreting this question's use of "impact" as the most formative. Not necessarily formative in the sense of being first, though in my case it was an early experience. The session I most remember running was the module B7 Rahasia early on in my gaming. It was the first real adventure I ran with friends beyond random dungeon crawling devoid of story hooks and purpose. It was impactful at the time, not just because of the fun we had, but because of how much I learned running it.

The tropes we take for granted as part of D&D were still new and fresh to me, and something like an exotic elvish cult brainwashed by an evil cleric seemed wild beyond my imagination. The bone golem, the three witch sisters, the creepiness of the entire temple - all of it has stayed with me. It showed me what an RPG could be and set a standard I tried to hold myself to. This module doesn't get very much attention as the Basic series generally gets forgotten about after Keep on the Borderlands, but to me, this one's a classic.

No comments:

Post a Comment

GM Notes - Morgansfort Session 14 - Death Frost Doom - Part 2 of 2

So, here stands the final chronicle of my two-year Basic Fantasy campaign. It ended a year ago and I'm just now getting around to fini...