Wednesday, August 2, 2017

#RPGaDay: Day 2

2. What is an RPG you would like to see published?

Answer: Day two of this celebration gives us maybe one of the best, most telling questions. Most of us are gamers, but very few of us are game designers. It asks us to plum our imaginations for the type of game we dream to see in production.

This question can be interpreted in a few different ways. It might be a kind of system or a hybrid of systems that you enjoy playing. It might be a game from an underserved genre or a particular milieu. It could be an IP that you think would make a good game. It might be something that hasn't been in print in ages and you'd like to see make a comeback.

My pick is a bit of all the above. I would love to see the nearly completed Dune: Chronicles of the Imperium actually get released. I know the classic board game has a legion of devoted followers, but I always thought that universe would be perfect for an RPG.

Here's a link to an old Gizmodo article with some of the details about how the game almost came to be, before Hasbro killed it. It sounds great, but like Jodorowsky's Dune, it remains something that will forever remain in the what-could-have-been category.

Maybe someone's actually made a Dune RPG and I'm just ignorant of it. If anyone knows of such a game or a decent hack please let me know.

My back-up answer is super nerdy, and I might actually have a solve for it. I think an RPG based around the setting of Lawrence Durrell's Alexandria Quartet would be amazing. I'm guessing I might be the only person in the world looking to play it, however.

It's an immediately pre-WWII setting based in the Egyptian city of Alexandria where Western ex-pats and spies wage a war of intrigue and secrets amongst clashing religions, cultures, and politics. Nothing is what it seems and the narrative changes depending on the point of view the story is told from. I'm thinking about looking at using Hollow Earth as a way to approach it. We'll see.


No comments:

Post a Comment

GM Notes - Morgansfort Session 14 - Death Frost Doom - Part 2 of 2

So, here stands the final chronicle of my two-year Basic Fantasy campaign. It ended a year ago and I'm just now getting around to fini...