Sunday, January 14, 2018

A Recommitment to the Blog

Seeing as how it's been a couple of months since my last post, I wanted to give a quick update before posting anything new. I've been doing a lot of reading, thinking about, and actual playing of RPGs the past couple of months. The game I started in September is still going and we've had a blast. I've bought a bunch more OSRs as well as some of the old TSR modules I've never owned. I watched hours of other people playing or discussing different rules or game mechanics and I've done a lot of thinking about my own preferences and biases as it relates to role-playing.

I'm still really enjoying Basic Fantasy, but some of my old reservations from D&D remain around the game. As simple and basic of game as it is, I'm still craving something a little leaner. I've found that as I've gotten older, I need (or want) the rules less and less. So, hopefully without jinxing anything, I'm planning on putting my own rules set together. This is something I intentionally set out not to do when I started gaming again. I didn't want to reinvent the wheel. However, I think it would be nice to have a hard copy of the game as I like to play it. I'd like to self-publish it through Lulu or CreateSpace if nothing more than to have a physical copy for myself and to be able to share with others looking for something similar.

I don't want to dive into what the system will entail just yet. I'll need some more time to think, write, and play test it all. In the meantime, Basic Fantasy is still my game and I plan to develop and submit a couple of adventures I've been working on to the BF workshop forums. Whether or not they get published isn't really important. It's more about getting some feedback on my writing and ideas as well as go through the exercise of making an RPG adventure.

Stay tuned for more game synopses and random thoughts about RPGs in general.

No comments:

Post a Comment

GM Notes - Morgansfort Session 14 - Death Frost Doom - Part 2 of 2

So, here stands the final chronicle of my two-year Basic Fantasy campaign. It ended a year ago and I'm just now getting around to fini...